Matthew Rano's Reviews > Cannery Row

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

M_50x66
Nov 02, 10

After I read a Steinbeck novel, I usually find myself lost in thoughts about it for a few days after finishing it, which I can't say about most others. Sometimes it is sadness, but in the case of Cannery Row, it felt great to be alive, whatever that means. After sitting back and thinking why I have these reactions to these books, I think it is because Steinbeck draws you so close to his characters that their pain is your pain and their joy is yours. Obviously that is usually the goal of every writer, but Steinbeck is one of the most successful to me. You always know Mack and the buys will always end up screwing up their plans to make Doc happy, but you also know that they are 100 percent sincere in their intentions. Too many books, and popular culture in general today, emphasize the negative in life, or whats wrong. Steinbeck shows men with great intentions, and that circumstances sometimes cause the outcome to be bad. he also shows that you dont need much to be happy in life. I want my readers to come away with the same upliftment that Steinbeck does for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cannery Row.