Richard Thompson's Reviews > See What I'm Saying: The Extraordinary Powers of Our Five Senses

See What I'm Saying by Lawrence D. Rosenblum

M_50x66
Jan 04, 14

bookshelves: best1010, non-fiction
Read in October, 2010

A fascinating book. In the first line of the final section of the book Rosenblum writes: “In a way, this entire book is a lie.” Including the reference in the subtitle to “the five senses”. The author uses the common labels and divisions — hearing, sight, taste, touch, smell — to organize the book, but in each section he introduces us to research that points to the fact that every individual “sense” is influenced and augmented by input from other perceptual systems. We also learn that we use a huge range of perceptual skills that we aren’t even aware of like (like the ability to echo-locate) to navigate. The “lie” in the book lies in the organizational necessity of falling back on the traditional divisions of perception (and the division of the brain in to discrete perception modules), when in reality all sensing is “multi-sensory”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See What I'm Saying.