Monique's Reviews > The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka

Nov 02, 10

bookshelves: children-s, illustrated, compilations
Read on November 03, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I took a short break away from "The Pillars of the Earth" to read this book, which came in the mail yesterday (along with several others). I had been getting restless over "Pillars" (I couldn't continue reading and reading 'til the end because, of course, I have a job) and decided to "stray" for a while. And why not, this book is a mere 5-minute read (maybe 10, if you're one to dawdle over the illustrations) and I was done with it in no time.

"Stinky Cheese Man..." is an illustrated parody and re-telling, with little sick twists, of the classic fairy tales you and I have grown to love over the years. Instead of dear "Little Red Riding Hood", the story is re-titled "Little Red Running Shorts"; instead of "The Princess and the Pea", it's called "The Princess and The Bowling Ball", to name a few. The fairy tale characters as we know them were made darkly comedic, maybe weird for some, but definitely unconventional.

It's supposed to be funny somehow, but I didn't find myself laughing even once (and I'm supposed to be the corniest person I know). Can you imagine the Ugly Duckling realizing, after all this time, that he wasn't going to change into a beautiful swan after all, because he's really just an ugly duckling? The moral lessons that were supposed to have been imparted by some of the stories were obliterated, and I find it puzzling how this book received the Caldecott Honor award.

I'm sure Hans Christian Andersen would be rolling in his grave right about now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stinky Cheese Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely 5-minute read? Is there such a book? Ha ha. Of course, Follett would not mind ha ha. Nice review, Monique!

Monique K.D. wrote: "5-minute read? Is there such a book? "

But there is, K.D., and this is one such! :) It's a really thin one, with large typeset letters and illustrations taking up most of the pages. Not your typical book, that much I can say. :) Thanks for liking the review! :)