♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > The Killing Dance

The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton

2641924
Dec 05, 10

bookshelves: genre-mystery, romance, characters-vampires, characters-weres-shifters, genre-urban-fantasy
Read from December 04 to 05, 2010

** spoiler alert ** If I could give this book 3.5 stars, I would. But, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

This book is a turning point in the series, in that, Hamilton writes the first sex scene for Anita. From what I hear, the books become increasingly more sexual, and I'm totally fine with that. I like sex in books, a lot. So that, I am looking forward to. However, what did bug me is who she decided to have sex with. This is why I had to put on the spoiler warning, because I had to talk about this in order to talk about how I feel about this book.

Anita chooses Jean Claude over Richard in this book, and to me, that is such a huge mistake. She really kind of pissed me off a lot in this book (me and Anita have a big love/hate relationship going on). She keeps telling Richard that he needs to kill Marcus and embrace being the pack leader and blah blah blah. But, when he does, she runs right into Jean Claude's arms because he scared her? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. She is totally contradictory and confusing.

Why do I think she should have chosen Richard over Jean Claude? Well, although I do like Jean Claude better now than I used to, there is a lot I still don't like about him:
- He's not very attractive the way he's described. I'm more into tall, at least slightly muscular heros, where Jean Claude is about her same height and is "lean". Meh.
- His wardrobe needs a serious update. Lace, lace everywhere...paLEASE!
- His name is so typical. It's not sexy, it just makes me think of a really old guy.
- I'm so sick of him calling her "ma petite". Normally, I like pet names, but this is just annoying.
- Their conversations are not meaningful at all. They had probably one meaningful conversation and the rest of the time the only thing her and Jean Claude talk about is how much they want each other but can't, and there's no reasoning behind it.
- Aside from that, Richard is WAY hotter and more desirable. A bazillion times more -- no contest.

Anyways, I'm pretty pissed about her choice and how she just kicks Richard to the curb. I really believe that Richard deserves WAY better than Anita, but he doesn't deserve her treating him like she does, that's for sure.

Honestly, at this point, if I didn't read ahead to the descriptions of the future books in the series, I would stop reading because I'm pissed. But since I know he will be in their little menage in the future, I will keep reading. If it's a menage between the three, I have no problem. If it doesn't include Richard, I do. Simple as that.

Aside from that, I was happy to see Edward more in this book. I totally think him an Anita have this chemistry going on. When she was in her little outfit and walked up to him sitting in the bedroom, for example. There's just something there and I'm not sure if anything comes of it in the future, but it's there.

I'll keep reading this series, but like I said, I have a huge love/hate relationship with it. I like it to the point where I really want to know what happens down the road, but I don't like it sometimes and it pisses me off sometimes. But, hey, it is entertaining and Hamilton always does a good job with the mystery aspect of it. The sex was a little blah, but better than I was expecting for her first attempt.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Dance.