Angie's Reviews > The Elfstones Of Shannara

Nov 01, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Fantasy lovers
Read in November, 2010, read count: 1

I loved this book. I was a bit disappointed at the beginning when I realized that I wouldn't be reading about Shea, Flick, and Balinor, but I quickly became used to Wil and Amberle, and frankly, I found them to be much more believable and relatable characters. Shea and Flick were a bit annoying at times, and the other characters were too close to LoTR characters for me to really get close to them. This book could stand on its own, and it was a good story.

I enjoyed the character development of Ander. I think he is a wonderful replacement for Eventine. I think most people can relate to him because most of us are just normal people who rise to the occasion when responsibility is thrust upon us. Ander carried that burden well, and I think he will be as beloved as his father before him.

However, I do have a couple of complaints about Brooks' writing style: he's a bit repetitive and a bit too descriptive at times. I have read about hundreds of battles and been introduced to so many new fantasy worlds—but I think Brooks was one of the most descriptive writers, which is saying a lot. However, the writing in this book was better than the writing in the first book, though I did find a couple of grammatical errors.

The ending was very satisfying. For me, an ending isn't great unless it comes with that bittersweet feeling. The love story between Wil and Amberle enjoyable, and it was just heart-wrenching to see it end the way it did. I wanted them to hook up, partly so that the Ohmsfords could start adding a bit more Elven blood to the Shannara line. However, it is good that Eretria went home with Wil. She was a good match for Wil, even if I was rooting for Amberle the entire time. All in all, a very satisfying ending.

I hope the next end-of-the-world crisis doesn't happen too far into the future; I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elfstones Of Shannara.