Pam's Reviews > Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

Savor by Thich Nhat Hanh

F 50x66
Nov 01, 2010

liked it

Auto-pilot is the concept of the century when it comes to just about everything. We work hard just so we can slack off, looking for the next quick fix to make life easier. But at what price? It seems like we’re doing more damage to ourselves than we are helping ourselves.

This is the concept that Buddhist leader Thich Nhat Hanh and Harvard’s Dr. Lilian Cheung breakdown in their new book Savor. The book is not a diet book and it’s not a solution. It’s a meditation on what our lives have become in an over processed, under nourished world.

We are too quick to buy ready-made, factory farmed food because we’ve been working late or don’t have time to pay attention to what our bodies need. The pair notes that this is from a great lack of mindfulness, or awareness of the things our body and mind need to function at a healthy, natural level. If we are able to stop, breathe, listen and refocus on our thoughts and bodies, we will be able to not only control the size of our waistline but also the size of our stress.

One of the best things about Savor is that it is not a diet book but, instead, a meditation on reclaiming our path in health and fitness. It teaches us to embrace the emotions and the subsequent actions that do us so much harm in terms of over eating. We are taught to “cuddle” fear, anger and anxiety. By taking charge of these unhappy emotions, we acknowledge them as present and move on instead f putting them on the eternal back burner to simmer and nag at us. Goals are focused less on a scale number and more on the number of breaths we are taking. By taking the hyperactive quantifiers out of the health and weight loss game, we are actually better able to find our way to ultimate happiness and fitness.

Again, this is not a quick fix but the introduction to a practice. It is a step away from the neon self-help books and ready-made weight loss plans.This is more about changing gears altogether before we find ourselves in a place of bodily and spiritual no-return. I highly recommend it for anyone who feels he or she is stuck on the conveyor belt of live, moving too quickly and too unaware. It’s a moving book but also a helpful book and a great introduction to the thoughts behind Buddhist mindfulness as well as intelligent, deliberate nutrition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor.

05/25/2016 marked as: read