Jimmy Tarlau's Reviews > The Ape Who Guards the Balance

The Ape Who Guards the Balance by Elizabeth Peters

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: listened-to
Read in February, 2011

One thing I like about this series is that the different books are based in succeeding years and show a development and aging of the characters. This is not true in all series. Sara Paretsky's lead character, VI Warshawski, never seems to get old and the Patrick O'Brian books have 11 different novels that encompass 5 years of action in only 1 chronilogical year. It doesn't actually make sense to me. In the Amelia Peabody mysteries, the kids grow up from youngsters to adolescents to young adults. They become more mature and have grow to have adult relationships. This book is also the first one in the series that actually has "manuscript excerpts" and "correspondence" from the Peabody kids that makes it fun because you get a vantage point other than through the mother, Amelia. I thoroughly enjoy the books. The plots are often inane but the writing is good and the voice is that of my favorite reader, Barbara Rosenblatt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ape Who Guards the Balance.