Andrea Caro's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Nov 19, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: mythology, kids, series, adventure, own-it, read-in-2011
Recommended for: mythology geeks, fans of percy jackson and the olympians, baboons
Read from November 01 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I don't even know what to say.

I'm definitely upset that I read this after Lost Hero - it was a dwindling let down in the wake of such an awesome novel.

Red Pyramid was conceptually genius: a starter novel in a new series involving - you guessed it - children and mythical Gods. As an occasional googler of Egyptian mythology and the owner of an honest to god Eye of Horus tattoo and the Mummy boxset, I decided to consume this book after Lost Hero. I was under the mistaken impression that I was saving the best for last.

Look, it's not bad. The characters are likable enough. We're introduced to a brother and sister duo that scarcely know each other who are forced to follow home their Uncle after an explosion of the Rosetta Stone unleashes an evil Egyptian god. We learn that the siblings have until the Demon Days to rescue their entombed dad and send this fiery fucker back where he came from and that baboons only eat foods that end in the letter O.

So, yeah. Theoretically, it should be good. It doesn't lack for adventure or action, but for some reason, reading this book was like wading through quicksand. It might have something to do with the amount of information that you were inundated with. Perhaps this is because we're more familiar with Roman and Greek gods - that is, if your school made you read the Iliad like mine did - and the tidal waves of information are too much to handle without multiple readings. Perhaps it's because I can only count the truly enjoyable moments of the book on one hand (the Elvis suits coming to life, fo' sho).

I'm not a slow reader by any stretch of the imagination. Rick has always left me angry that I've finished his books so quickly because I always want more, more, more. I only got through this book, I'm afraid, because I entertained myself by reading the whole thing out loud to my dog in a Scottish accent (he, too, was bored to sleep).

I don't know if this book deserves three stars, but I'm maintaining hope that book two doesn't leave me feeling like I could have better spent my time listening to the Slap Chop rap on youtube.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.

11/13/2010 page 362
70.0% "It's like wading through quicksand."

Danielle I felt the same way about the Red Pyramid as well- there just seems to be something missing and I felt confused by the unfamiliarity of Egyptian mythology. I'm HOPING that I enjoy The Throne of Fire much more since I loved Riordan's Lightning Thief series! :)