Jill's Reviews > Rabbit Hill

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: newbery-medal, children
Recommended for: read aloud age 6+
Read from November 01 to 03, 2010

This Newbery winner reminded me of Miss Hickory in the way the animals in the story are humanized. I thought it was well done. I think it's that I enjoy stories of animal/human interaction told from the point of view of the animal (Mrs. Frisby, Despereaux...) more than ones about human/animal companionship like Sounder or It's Like This, Cat. I thought the characters were loveable and memorable, in particular Little Georgie in his sweet, innocent way, and Father the way he cares for the other animals on the hill and looks out for their best interests. It's a little dated, maybe, but once you get over that aspect I think it would make a good read-aloud book for 6-9 year olds.

"I believe I have been successful in teaching all our children to avoid ever being surprised. A few of the grandchildren, I regret to say, have been unduly pampered and allowed freedoms which were unknown in my day. The results of such parental indulgence have been swift and usually fatal."

"You will find, Phewie," said Father with some heat, "that good breeding and good garbage go hand in hand."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit Hill.