Jessica Rawden's Reviews > Jackaroo

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: pre-2000, young-adult-book, fantasy, fairy-tales-and-folktales, novel
Read in October, 2010

I really wish they had half stars on this sight, because I think this book is the perfect example of a 3 and a half star book. Jackaroo, the first book in the Kingdom series is very different from anything else I've ever read from Cynthia Voight. I really liked Gwyn, especially at the beginning of the book when Voight juxtaposed Gwyn's patience, fortitude, and against the non-virtues of her spoiled younger brother Tad. It was a great way to set the story in a few pages. I thought the entire story was set up well. It was enjoyable to read, and in the interest of not typing spoilers, I liked the way the different events and characteristics of particular characters wove into a larger tapestry of stories. The only issue I found with the story was Voigt's writing. Her skills are not suspect--she's great with characters and good with detail; however, she favors choppy sentences that are often confusing. She also continually returns to the device where she creates one paragraph sentences for affect. Cutting to a one-sentence paragraph can be perfect every now and again; it becomes a problem when it occurs regularly, especially amongst paragraphs deeply based in choppy sentences. I don't remember this being a problem with A Solitary Blue or any of the other Dicey books, but I read those a long, long time ago. The book is a good story, but will be deterring for people who are into language as well as plot. Ages 12-18

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaroo.