Hafsah Laziaf's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Oct 28, 11

Read from October 20 to 26, 2011

Originally Posted on IceyBooks

It seemed like everyone was waiting for Crossed. When I saw the cover revealed, I smiled. When I saw a copy on my doorstep, I beamed. When I opened it to the first pages, I thought . When I read on, more and more, I frowned.

Crossed, the 'hotly anticipated sequel to Matched' by Ally Condie, was a disappointment. How? How could this happen? I was devasted, angry. The story moved at a snail's pace. The plot I expected Crossed to cover was a lot less. This is one of those books that simply serve as a way to connect book one and book three. Nothing more, nothing less.

Crossed was narrated by Ky and Cassia, alternating between chapters. I liked the idea of getting inside Ky's head, though I couldn't exactly diffrentiate between his voice and Cassia's.

And though I didn't like the story, I liked Ally Condie's writing. I don't love it, but it certainly has a lilt and poetic way to it. And a certain character's death was well-ppaced, filling me with sorrow and angst, just how Condie must have anticipated. But that was it. That was the only emotion I felt, other than wanting to reach the end and get to another book.

So will I continue the trilogy? Yes, I know the conclusion to the Matched trilogy will hold answers and cover much more. In a nutshell, I'd say, if you're expecting action and adventure in the second installment to Matched, you might just end up disappointed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

Gabrielle Carolina Eh? Oh, no! Did you like book one?

Hafsah Laziaf I did, but this one... don't get me started.

Gabrielle Carolina F.H. wrote: "I did, but this one... don't get me started."

Oh, no! Well, if you want to trade it to me, I do still want to read it and I have some ARCs I can't sell to HPB.

message 4: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I hate it that the plot moved at a snails pace after such an intense ending to Matched. I still want to read it.