Susan's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

Apr 23, 11

Read in April, 2011

I'd missed Thursday Next. In a way, I still miss her, despite reading this latest Thursday Next novel. Why would I miss Thursday, when I'd just read about her? Because it wasn't really her; it was the real-Thursday-approved written version of Thursday who stars in this novel.

This is a kinder, gentler, version of Thursday; Thursday as she'd like to be. However, the written Thursday finds herself having to act like the real Thursday to save her own bacon, just as one would expect Thursday - whatever version - to do.

There is a grand cast of walk-on characters, reference to what literary characters think of their movie version actors, and all the old favorites from earlier in the series are back, like Cmdr. Bradshaw.

I miss things about the early part of the series, though. The footnoterphone is missing (along with Thursday). The Book World has been completely re-vamped, so that it's easier to navigate, but not as much fun as reading oneself into the book of choice. It's now much easier for Vanity (self-published) fiction to get into the "real" Book World, and fan fiction has its own island, across a bridge from Vanity.

I'll re-read it, to see what I missed, and because it is Thursday, even if it's a watered down version of her. It just isn't as much fun as the first books in the series.

This book feels like the effort of an author who's starting to tire of his star character, doesn't know what to do with her, so he shoves her to the sidelines and replaces her with a milder version, just to see what the fans say. This fan says to bring back the real Thursday and write a better adventure next time and let it finish the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.