Elise's Reviews > Black as Night

Black as Night by Regina Doman

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, fiction, faith, favourites, wishlist, fairytales, young-adult, awesome-heroes
Recommended to Elise by: Anna Maria
Read in January, 2011, read count: 1

Well, where to start! This is the second of Regina Doman's Fairytale novels. I read this one several months after finishing the first book - The Shadow of the Bear. In hindsight, this was probably a good thing. The two books are considerably different, and having the gap between reading them allowed me to enjoy each book for what it was, without making comparisons or being jarred by the change in pace and style.

Black as Night is faster, darker, more tightly-written, and more suspenseful. Whereas SOTB felt like more of a gentle read, building to a climax near the end, with BAN the suspense grabs you from the start and doesn't let up until the final page.

What I love (ahem, one of the things I love) about Regina's books is the way they're steeped in literature, with so many layers to unravel and enjoy! BAN is a modern retelling of Snow White (the Grimm version, not the Disney version), but there are also echoes of Lewis Carroll and references to many other authors and poets - all of the four main characters are booklovers, so books are a constant theme within this book. :-)

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I won't say much about the plot. Just start reading and enjoy the ride! I'll just mention a couple of things - the parallels with the original Snow White story that Regina conceives here are truly ingenious - particularly the seven Franciscan friars in place of the Seven Dwarfs! And the love story is beautifully told - the author did a great job in sustaining and building the romantic suspense throughout the entire book - especially considering that the hero and heroine are kept apart until the last couple of pages!

Regina Doman is a Catholic, and there are many references to Catholic beliefs throughout the book; but speaking as a Protestant, I found it so refreshing to find a book this well-written that is also written from a Christian perspective, with Biblical morals upheld! Highly recommended reading for Christian teens of all denominations. :-)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black as Night.

01/05/2011 page 57