Lindsay's Reviews > Across the Universe

Dec 26, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, cover-lust, all-time-favorites
Read from December 18 to 22, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Across the Universe by Beth Revis

One of the most tantalizing, haunting, and spectacular reads of 2011 for sure. Beth Revis has created a spectacular futuristic murder mystery that will guarantee her tons of fans to last.

I'll start off with the cover: GORGEOUS! Although a few of the people who saw the front of my copy thought of the Beatles movie, it is definitely one of the most breath-taking covers I have seen in a long time and most likely one of the best for the year.

Revis did an amazing job weaving the plot together. The society, the control, the drugs, the Season. All of it was so...chilling. And so were the characters. Elder and Amy were truly a breath of fresh air in the YA world. I loved Amy's fierce spirit and need to survive on the ship, searching for a way to protect her family. After being released from her frozen slumber early on, her fear and anger and confusion by the way this new society worked on the ship were easy to relate to, especially when it came to the Mono-ethnic people.

And god did I love Elder. Seriously, he was pretty adorable without seeming too perfect at the same time. His rebellion against Eldest was great to see but all he wanted to do was be a good leader for his people. But finding out that HE was the one who released Amy in the end was the biggest shock of all! Seriously, I didn't see it coming.

Then again, there were a lot of things I didn't see coming. Such as the Phydus controlling everyone's emotions, the hormones causing the Season, the medicine that "fixed the babies" from diseases and incest, and the inhibitors for the crazy people.

Even the killer was a shock. I had absolutely no idea it was Orion and yet, it made complete sense. Revis brilliantly led the reader away from the killer with a whole string of suspects.

But one of my favorite things about this novel was Elder and Amy's relationship. Because the P.o.v. switched between the two, you heard very conflicting feelings from both sides, both feeling natural without being too quick paced. And let me just say it: thank you Beth, for not throwing the two at each other right away. Seriously, I love how Amy is going to give Elder a chance at the end but it made me happy that she didn't forgive him flat out for unfreezing her, even if he didn't mean to.

All in all, this book was truly disturbing and gave me the utmost horrific sense of claustrophobia. Revis's debut novel is one that many people will enjoy and should definitely go on your to-read list asap.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars