Miss Page Turner's Reviews > Angel

Angel by L.A. Weatherly

Oct 31, 2010

Read from October 12 to December 10, 2011

I had the copy of ANGEL BURN for several months until I got to it. With all the people raving about it, I simply couldn’t ignore it any longer. I definitely had great expectations, which were not entirely fulfilled.

It’s right that the story starts with a hot guy and hot car. Sounds perfect, doesn’t it? Still I didn’t feel any connection to the story or the characters in the beginning. ANGEL BURN is mainly told by Willow as a 1st person narrator. She is shown in her usual school and domestic environment in interaction with her family and school pals. The hot guy is Alex whose parts of the story are told from a 3rd person point of view. Alex travels around the US to search for suspicious angel activities and fight them.

These two characters, Willow and Alex are supposed to fight each other. It’s Alex’ job to extinguish every single angel in the country. Willow is half-human half-angel. I think you get the conflict.
I don’t know what it was about the story, but I somehow didn’t really get into it until the half of the book with a hesitant relationship between Alex and Willow developing.
When they are together they are both characters that are easy to like, easy-going and convenient to be around. Alex is a very attractive and strong, well-trained, well-skilled and clever boy who does have bunch of fans I’m sure of.

Great about ANGEL is that L.A. Weatherly created an entirely new concept of heavenly angelic being. The United States are plagued by an invasion of angels and there are even more about to come. Angels in ANGEL BURN are nowhere near friendly and good-willed, they feed off humans and steal their energy to live off it. There’s a big conspiracy hiding behind the angel cult the people are living. That’s definitely an aspect I found interesting about ANGEL BURN.
There are large parts of the story in which we also see what the enemies are up to.We get to read the story from Raziel's and his subjects' perspective which unfortunately felt dragging and bored me.

THE VERDICT

3,5/5 ***/* ANGEL BURN- Willow and Alex, the new pair of supposed enemies falling in love and a totally wicked angel invasion. Anything better for angel fans?

Wild pursuits, great efforts put into hiding the key to fighting the angel pest that infected the country, making new allies and new enemies, overcoming the past and starting into a bright new future, falling in love with your supposed enemy. That all is ANGEL BURN! A very promising and enjoyable mixture of story elements, that is only realised after half of the story.
I did enjoy ANGEL BURN in the end, but large parts of the story were simply too uneventful for me. I love me a book with a high page count, in this case I would have preferred a cut version only written out of the perspectives of Willow and Alex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

10/12/2011 page 15
12/01/2011 page 140
28.0% "We're getting along now!"
show 10 hidden updates…