Deborah's Reviews > The Storyteller's Daughter: One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland

The Storyteller's Daughter by Saira Shah

Oct 31, 10

bookshelves: audio-books, reader-library-loans
Read in January, 2010

Saira Shah has an absorbing story to tell, herself, as we follow her in pursuit of an Afghanistan she was raised to believe in as a nearly mystical place, at her father's knee.

A brilliant author with a fascinating life, Ms Shah kept me on the edge of my seat and the hours flew by as I listened to her descriptions of the Afghaney (sp?) people, the Taliban, and her travels through the mountain terrains to seek her ancestory home and people. What she found in the end was far more than she'd hoped for or expected.

Speaking from a child of the West, as well as a grandchild of ancient Afghanistan, a journalist, and an adventurist, Ms Shah paints both a beautiful and a wise story of lost innocence and gained insights.

This books has much to tell us about Islamic culture and faith, the horrors of war, the involvement of foreign countries in middle eastern conflicts, and displaced peoples. Ms Shah was also responsible for documentaries of note including "Behind the Veil..."

This is one of the very best audiobooks I've experienced this last 6 months. It would also be a great read to linger over, I'm certain.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller's Daughter.