Estara's Reviews > The Heir

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2010
Recommended to Estara by: Rose Fox PW
Read from December 28 to 31, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I think this book needed an editor. Not a copy one, but a good content one.

The big misunderstanding at the end made not much sense what with all the great development of more trust between the hero and heroine and the fact that they talked to each other a lot anyway. The setting in the historical period made a lot of the heroine's behaviour and casualness at the beginning of their relationship very unrealistic indeed and I disliked the probably historically accurate, but completely unnecessary prejudice against the lower classes articulated by the hero's family (the plot had the bigger villains be of the gentry, so that was a plus). I didn't like the deus ex machina developments with the heroine's sister hearing, though. The flight of Anna with Megan would already have made sense by virtue of the fact that Megan was only 15! She could have liked music regardless, but I guess this was a setting up for her book and Val's.

A real strength of this book were the beautiful family relationship threads, showing the developing and healing of a family suffering from grief, being supportive of one another and tolerant and learning to say no and to let go. Another strength were the descriptions of cuddling outside of bed play, something you get rarely even in romances and they made sense in context, too. There was a great deal of caring for one another in this book. There was a nice feeling of back story to this world, of previous contacts and developments which the heroine had to grow into.

Actually, I think the author should write in a contemporary setting, then a lot of the inconsistencies wouldn't even occur. Certainly someone to try again, down the line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir.