Lillie's Reviews > Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory

My Review:
I enjoyed my first foray into H.P. Mallory's writing. I was attracted to FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE because of the synopsis. A psychic and a warlock are two elements in paranormal romance and urban fantasy that I haven't read in too many books recently, and I always like to change things up every once in a while, to read more widely (even if it is still in a genre that I frequent) and to avoid sinking into reading slumps. I couldn't have asked for a more satisfying read to fulfill that criteria than this novel.

FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE starts out with Jolie Wilkins meeting the mysterious Rand, a self-professed warlock, who claims that she isn't a pyschic, but a witch. While the beginning is mostly Rand trying to convince Jolie of his claims, the story still moves pretty quickly, and I found myself getting into the changing locales, and the new people that Jolie was meeting.

A note about the beginning: The repeated visits of Rand, and Jolie's "practice" to try and engage her witchy powers was quite realistic in its pacing. I hate it when I have to think that some character agreed too readily to a life-changing announcement given to them by a third party. Or, even when a book seems to compress a month's worth of story into three days. However, I also want the book to move along, and keep me from getting bored. Mallory handled this aspect well.

As with her other novel, TO KILL A WARLOCK, she also introduced several men into Jolie's life. So yes, I do love a good romantic triangle in a paranormal romance. But, I also like it when a woman doesn't "have to" commit herself to a guy. In real life, this is how it happens. Mallory gives Jolie options, one that is probably inapproprate, but still, it's an option. And, it's not a triangle. FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE hit all of the right buttons for me.

In terms of pacing, plot, characters and language, this novel is one I'd think any reader, looking for a bit if a change from the usual bookshelf offerings, would highly enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble.