Vivienne Neal's Reviews > Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class

Our Kind of People by Lawrence Otis Graham

Oct 31, 10

Read in October, 2010

An excellent book, which focuses primarily on wealthy African American who are rarely talked about or seen in the mainstream media. Looking back historically to the rise of the middle and upper class Blacks, along with their pettiness and generosity, the reader gets a excellent understanding as to why there is such a disconnect among African Americans today. With all of the trials and tribulations that African Americans have had to face since being brought to this country, namely Jim Crow laws, discrimination and segregation, it is great to see how these influential people and their organizations were able to and still do produce some of the most successful men and women. These individuals continue to contribute to this country, and yet there is still a divide among its citizens based on income, education, social status and color. This book should be mandatory reading in schools. The author has brought us a priceless piece of history.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Kind of People.