Jonathan's Reviews > The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade

The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy by Pietra Rivoli

2023263
Oct 31, 10

Read in December, 2007

Very interesting discussion of how subsidized cotton from America is sent to China for creating a T-Shirt. (There might be a few more round trips, i.e. fabric is created abroad, and then the shirt is made in Mexico, and then it is printed back in Asia). Eventually, the hypothetical same T-Shirt returns to Florida to be sold to tourists, until eventually it is discarded at a thrift store donation box. But the story is not over. Due to the low cost of empty shipping containers leaving the US, our T-Shirt ends up creating more profit through resale in Africa.

I listened to the audible audiobook version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick I remember walking through Chichicastenango, Guatemala and marvelling at the guy I saw wearing a University of Michigan t-shirt. It turns out that the nearby town of Solola had a used t-shirt store, where shirts that Goodwill couldn´t sell in the US were shipped down.

I´m sure the U of M shirt was an oversight by Goodwill.

Jonathan Haha! Thanks Patrick.