Stefani's Reviews > Haunted

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: sickening, high-gore-factor

Quite a disgusting read, and let me preface that statement by saying that I did slog through American Psycho in its entirety without heaving up my guts even once, although I was tempted with Haunted at several points.

More disturbing than the actual gore factor was the premise of this novel-a random ad inviting people to a secret hideaway where they can be sequestered from the real world and its obligations, to experience life on a more primal level. Apart from sounding remarkably similar to Fight Club, I didn't really ever understand what kind of people would be drawn to this very vague proposal-bored housewives, thrill-seekers? What's the point of being there? What's the point of anything? Fortunately, you don't have to ponder the answer to these questions because ol' Chuck the nihilist has answered them for you already. There is no point to life, to death, or anything in between for that matter. The character's fates-in case you were wondering-have been pre-determined to be hoplessly depressing and meaningless-each person more corrupt than the next in their bizarre quest to outdo each other in matters of pain tolerance and toe retention.

I didn't rate this terribly because I sometimes think Chuck is funny as hell and unafraid to examine the tyrannical and dark aspect of human nature that, when reflected back on the individual, is more frightening than any nightmare.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.