AH's Reviews > Noble Destiny

Noble Destiny by Katie MacAlister

May 13, 14

bookshelves: historical, arc-netgalley, pink, read-apr-2014, romance, re-release, babr-reviews
Read from April 22 to 28, 2014

Initial Thoughts: Hmmm...not as entertaining as Noble Intentions. I did miss Gillian and her Unfortunate Habits. This book focuses on Alasdair MacGregor and his love interest Charlotte Collins. I had a hard time connecting with Charlotte who was a bit ditzy and a lot of a schemer. She had a horrible habit of misusing vocabulary - sometimes it was funny, but by the end of the book it was a little tiresome. Alasdair or Dare as he preferred to be called, was a lot easier to like and it's one of the first times that I have seen a character in a historical/regency romance actually try to build something/work for a living. About 2.5 - 3 stars.

The Review:
Gillian’s cousin Charlotte and her love interest (and Noble’s rival) Alasdair MacGregor are the main couple in this second book in Katie MacAlister’s Noble series. This is historical romance with a touch of humor. Noble Destiny takes place several years after Noble Intentions.

Charlotte returns to London to find her cousin and best friend Gillian packing her family off to the West Indies. Charlotte is penniless after having been cut off by her family for eloping with an Italian. When her husband died, Charlotte was turned away by his family because she did not produce an heir. Gillian allows Charlotte to live in her London home while she is away and Charlotte immediately begins to plot out her return to society which is easier said than done.

Alasdair MacGregor is a much sought-after bachelor with no plans to settle down. Alasdair, or Dare as he prefers to be called, is the 7th Earl of Carlise, a title in name only with little money and a few rundown estates. Alasdair is a brilliant man and he spends all of his time working on a steam engine which he hopes to sell and make his own fortune.

Dare and Charlotte have a past – he had been in love with her. Dare is a strong believer in love. He doesn’t believe in marriages of convenience, nor does he agree to sex without love. When Charlotte proposes to Dare in order to keep the other widows and eligible ladies away, Dare refuses. He later agrees to a marriage.

Charlotte did not have the same endearing qualities as Gillian. At times she was annoying, especially when she got her vocabulary mixed up. At first, they were kind of cute, but as the story progressed, it just got tedious. I think that the butler Batsfoam stole the show. Batsfoam (have to chuckle at the name) was a long suffering character with a satiric streak. I absolutely loved him. He deserves a book of his own.

There are two more books in the series and I can’t wait to get my hands on them!

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca for a review copy of this book.

Review posted on Badass Book Reviews. Check it out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noble Destiny.

04/22 marked as: currently-reading
04/28 page 150
39.0% "Not as entertaining as Gillian and Noble's story."
04/28 marked as: read