Joy's Reviews > The Lady's Slipper

The Lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift

Dec 01, 10

** spoiler alert ** 3.5!

I actually bought this book after NOT winning it in the first reads giveaway that I entered. I had just finished "Wolves of Andover" and wanted something else in the same general time period (late 17th Century) and always like British historical fiction.

It wasn't the book I had thought it would be... The back cover led me to expect one type of mystery/conflict/disaster/murder and the drama that actually unfolds wasn't quite what I had picked the book up for (vague, yes... trying not to reveal plot points). That said, I much enjoyed the book. I thought I reached a greater understanding of the religious and some of the political tensions of the Restoration period... particularly regarding the Quakers. I liked the way the orchid was used as a plot device to anchor and steer the story. My biggest critique of the novel is that around 3/4 of the way through the book, some of the plot developments seemed slightly artificial and, perhaps, contrived or forced (or maybe, simply rushed). I also disliked that some questions remain a bit unanswered.

But, the characters were believable and relatable. The story was mostly well paced and I'm glad I read it. I'd read more from Swift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Slipper.