Jennifer's Reviews > The Shining

Jan 25, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-bymr, lapl
Read in November, 2010

I had such high expectations for this story. After all, it's THE SHINING ooohhhhh.......scary, scary, THE SHINING, THE SHINING!!! After hearing something to that effect over the years, I assumed I would have to sleep with the lights on for a month or that perhaps my mind would become irreparably warped, both of which I was OK with. However, that was not the case. The Shining just wasn't that scary. It was slightly hokey. When Jack was at his most possessed by the hotel and bent on killing his son and wife with a roque mallet because he wanted to show the hotel that he was of "managerial timber," I couldn't help rolling my eyes. I have not, after reading this story, developed a fear of hotel ghosts; I have, however, developed a fear of marrying a man with emotional baggage, having a creepy little kid with him, and feeling trapped and unable to leave him because I have a low self-confidence and socioeconomic status. Yes Mr. King, the joke is on us. The real horror is not the ghost haunting the bathroom, but being trapped in marriage with a psycho haunted by demons from his past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.