Jules's Reviews > Bagels For Breakfast

Bagels For Breakfast by Neil Rose

F 50x66
Oct 30, 10

Read in October, 2010

I genuinely enjoyed this book and found it to be funny, topical and honest. The main character of the book is a North London Jewish ‘man’ Marek who is trapped by the conformity of his culture and Jewish expectation. His main enemy is his family – notably – his mother who does not want him to marry out of the religion. I think the writing style of the book is quite similar to Nick Hornby as it is modern, easy-to-read and no nonsense. Although the storyline raises a few laughs via the brilliant characterisation, there is a serious message underlying the story. Via Marek, we are made aware that even modern interpretations of secular life can be trapping where cultural expectations of carrying on a Jewish way of life (and marrying ‘in’ the religion) run high. In the book it’s when Marek starts to date a shiksa (a non-Jewish) girl in the book that his normal life falls apart for him.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a piece of easy to read yet cultural fiction now and then. This book can be enjoyed by any audience and religion. It’s educational, fun and thought provoking. I will definitely read work by this author again. Absolutely five of five!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bagels For Breakfast.