MJ's Reviews > The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

Jan 28, 2008

bookshelves: historical-fiction, really-liked
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Wilig
This is the first book in the Pink Carnation series.
If you like historical novels with a splash of romance and a hint of esponiage. This is the book for you. I really enjoyed reading this book. It starts out with Eliose Kelly a Harvard student working on her disertation. She is London trying to find information on the English spy known only as the Pink Carnation. Unlike other spies of the time this spy true identity was never reveled. She come across a bunch of old letter and diaries (along with meeting the dashing Colin Selwick) which takes us back in time to tell the story of incarnation of the Pink Carnation.
There we meet Amy Bolucourt she is half English and half French and her parents died during the french reveloution and she wants nothing more then to join the legue of the Purple Gentain (another spy of the time) to bring down the French government in revenge. Joining her is her cousin Jane and their unflappable chaperion Miss Gwen. But Amy does not know who the Purple Gentain is will she find out in time and why is Sir Richard Selwick (Colin's great great great grandfather) always in her way. Will Amy be able to help the Purple Gentain stop Frances planned invasion of England and who is really the Purple Gentain and will Eliose discover through these letters the true identitiy of the Pink Carnation or while Colin be able to stop her.
While reading the book I keep thinking WOW I can reccomend this to my family no sex (just some stolen kisses) but then there was a section were Richard and Amy got carried away (on a boat on the Seine River) although they donot have sex. And then one of Eloise's friends said the F-word once. Then there was a love scene at the end after 2 people got married. I would still recommend this book to anyone who like historical fiction.
At the end of the book the author tells us what she made up and what was actually historically accurate and I really liked that she did that. The rest of the books are about the escapades of the Pink Carnation and the other spies that he works with. While interweaving the continuing story of Eloise and Colin.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.