Melyssa's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Apr 12, 14

bookshelves: i-own-it, dystopian, 2010, ya, cover-lovin, oh-no-there-is-more, romance-ish
Read from January 07, 2011 to April 12, 2014

UPDATE 6.8.12: I still love Ky. And I do feel a bit sorry for Xander. But Cassia and Xander have a best friend love. Ky and Cassia have a burning, passionate love. And that's all I have to say after read #2. :D

Original Review:

As with almost any futuristic book one reads, there is a period of catching onto the language. With that aside I was completely enthralled with Matched. I began reading at work and decided that I couldn't give it my full attention, so I anxiously waited for the moment I could go home and read. And that's where things got interesting. I read for hours. And then got up today and read all day. ALL DAY (And I had piles of laundry to do!). Ally Condie writes of predictions of life altering events and the unexpected outcome of an experiment gone awry.

The struggle the reader has choosing between the upstanding character of Xander and the vulnerable Ky, is probably my favorite part of the book. You are torn between the two. They are both good, solid choices for Cassia. Each are not without their merits. Xander is the standard "good guy" that you can't go wrong with and he truly loves Cassia. But you can see that Cassia wants more than that. She wants the burning curiosity and love and wonder she feels with Ky.

The possibilty that the world could one day become like the Society in this book is terrifying. To only have 100 peices of art or poetry or books! I think I would be truly lost if I was only limited to 100 books.

All in all, great read. Curious to see what else I will find from Ally Condie. :D

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

06/05/2012 page 34
9.0% "Dang... For the life of me i can't remember the particulars of this book. So here I am re-reading it, so I can move on to the next one. :)"
04/07/2014 marked as: currently-reading 1 comment
04/12/2014 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Lena English I liked reading your review cause it was different than mine. I didn't have that indecision between Ky and Xander. I always wanted Xander, and didn't really see any reason to want Ky other than that he was new and different. I have read the second one and have not changed my mind. I guess I have to wait for November to see!

message 2: by Melyssa (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melyssa Yeah I checked out the second one from the library and I started reading and had no idea what was going on... So I'm rereading the first one. And I still have to say that Xander is a little too perfect for my taste. Yeah he is nice and good and sweet and he may think that the Match between him and Cassia is absolute (and it may be for him). But I think that Cassia is going to want something that is different and dangerous and curious. A romance where she doesn't have to " go gentle into that good night." Her romance with Ky is her form of raging against it.

And I am so excited to see what happens next!