AH's Reviews > Half Past Dead

Half Past Dead by Zoe Archer

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: kobo-freebies, zombies, sorcerer, fantasy, prequel, zzread-mar-2011, own
Read from March 15 to 18, 2011

When you think about zombies, you most likely visualize an animated brain eating corpse. This book highlights a very different kind of zombie, probably more frightening than any zombie we know, a zombie capable of intelligence and able to think and learn.

Half Past Dead is really two stories. The first, Half Past Dead is the prequel to Zoe Archer’s Blades of the Rose series. The second story Simon Says is by Bianca D’Arc.

Half Past Dead 2/5 stars

Half Past Dead is a historical romance. It sets up the Blades of the Rose series, introducing the reader to some of the characters and themes of that series. It is not necessary to read this short novella in order to enjoy the Blades of the Rose series; it serves as a companion story.

In this book Cassandra is on her first solo mission for the Blades. She bumps into childhood friend Sam who appears to be shadowing the same person. Sam is very different from her childhood days. When Sam is attacked, he does not bleed and he heals very quickly. At this point, I am sure that you are thinking vampire, I know I was. But no, Sam is a kind of zombie, not the brain eating kind, but kind of like a vampire that does not require blood. More on that later.

There is a lot of action and excitement. A lot of running, sword fights, getting chased by angry townspeople, interspersed with generous sex breaks. Apparently Sam’s kind of zombie can have sex and no body parts fall off.

The story was ho-hum for me. I did like the introduction of Blade members Honoria Graves and Achilles Voisin . Nice touch, adding vodou as an explanation for zombies. It fell flat for me because the sex breaks seemed unrealistic. I am not sure if I would have continued with the series had I started with this book.

Simon Says 2.5/5 stars

Simon Says is a different take on zombies. Our hero Simon was bitten by zombies while on a military mission. Instead of turning into the walking dead, Simon develops an immunity to the zombie contagion and becomes a covert zombie hunter.

The zombies in this book are the result of a military experiment gone bad. These zombies were well trained marines and they were intelligent and capable of planning and learning. They stay out of the sunlight, but come out on cloudy or rainy days. (No, they do not sparkle).

While hunting zombies near a military base, Simon is injured and brought to Mariana, the base doctor. Simon and Mariana once had a relationship. She cares for him and notices his incredibly fast healing. He swears her to secrecy. Their romance is rekindled. Once again, a lot of sex breaks while hiding out from zombies.

Unfortunately, this felt like more of the same to me. Perhaps if both stories were not in the same book, I would have appreciated the stories more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Past Dead.

03/16/2011 page 12
8.0% ""Midnight assignations, pistols," Sam said behind her, "and now telegraph offices. Not the Cassie Fielding I knew.""
03/16/2011 page 26
17.0% ""If anyone has the strength of will to sever a supernatural chokehold, it would be you. Such an obstinate bastard."" 1 comment
03/17/2011 page 111
35.0% "Viscous water monsters. Swarming bees. Murderous Heirs. None of that shook her as profoundly, as completely, as this man. Her warrior. Her lover. Hers." 2 comments
03/17/2011 page 127
40.0% "Half Past Dead story - ho-hum. Interesting take on zombies. Not your regular mindless, brain eating zombies. Quite a lot of "sex breaks" for our main characters which made the story drag. Not sure if I would have continued with the Blades of the Rose series had I read this first. 2/5 stars." 9 comments
03/17/2011 page 128
40.0% "Next story - Simon Says"
03/17/2011 page 129
40.0% ""They'd been sent into a horror movie with inadequate intel, inappropriate weaponry and not a chance in hell of winning.""
03/17/2011 page 150
47.0% "This story feels exactly the same as Half Past Dead. Mysterious man, heals quickly, yada yada...."
03/17/2011 page 164
51.0% ""They come out at night. The sun makes them hide. Clouds and twilight are their friends. Whatever you do, don't go out in the woods when it's overcast or at night. If they bite you, you're dead. --At least they don't sparkle." 13 comments
03/18/2011 page 320
100.0% "Simon Says - OK story. A lot of sex breaks and intelligent zombies - yes zombies that are capable of learning. Scary! 3/5 stars."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} LOL @ Apparently Sam’s kind of zombie can have sex and no body parts fall off. If something had fallen off this story woulda been more interesting! And I did decide not to read Blades of the Rose based on that story. This book was a yawn-fest for me.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Amy, I really enjoyed Warrior. It was not a snooze fest for me.

message 3: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Ummmm I've read stories of zombies that could learn and didnt eat people, in fact they couldn't eat at all, but zombies that can heal!! I'm not so sure I could buy it. Even in my smart zombies the didn't heal from anything. More like shoot a hole in their stomach, now you can see through em lolz

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review, AH. Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't read this one first. Otherwise I would have missed out on the awesome books Warrior and Scoundrel!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Thanks, Catherine. I'm thinking the same. I'm glad I read Warrior before this one. (Sometimes it pays not to be OCD, LOL!)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine True, true.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Ewww!! Zombie sex breaks!! Gross!!

The second book sounds like they're just twisting I Am Legend (kinda sorta... like taking what Will Smith was a zombafying it)

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Hmm. You're right. But in I am Legend, the Will Smith character wasn't immune to becoming a zombie, was he?

message 9: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Mar 23, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Greta is Erikasbuddy the things in I am Legend were actually vampires (the book explains it better) but they totally looked like zombies, right?

Yeah, he was immune to the zombie/vampires... there was something in his blood. That's why he sent the woman at the end of the movie with a vial of his blood because it held the key.

That's how it ended right? It's been a while since I've seen it

message 10: by Catherine (last edited Mar 23, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

Catherine I thought he sent a vial of blood from the zombie/vampire girl that was starting to turn back to human. That way they could figure out the cure from her blood.

Greta is Erikasbuddy ohh!! You are sooo right!!!

But I still think he was immune somehow right? Cuz he never got the zombie/vampire cold.

DOH!! I totally forgot that it was from that girl

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I really don't know. The movie was kind of vague. I didn't even know they were supposed to be vampires!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh i know!! I thought they were zombies for like ever till I read the book.

The book actually scared me more than the movie did. My hubz went on a business trip while I was reading it and I was so scared that I wouldn't go to sleep till the sun came up because I thought the zombie-pires were going to eat me.

I did hear that they were going to make a pre-quel to I am Legend

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH That was a freaky movie. I didn't really like it. Too intense just to have one character the whole movie.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh this is interesting - (about I am Legend and Will Smith being immune to the zompires)

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "That was a freaky movie. I didn't really like it. Too intense just to have one character the whole movie."

We took our son and it totally freaked him out!

In the book some of the zompires talk so there's a couple more characters.

message 17: by AH (last edited Mar 23, 2011 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH I think I'll take a break from zombies for a while. Never did like them. Did you see the book I'm reading now has gnomes? Bite Marks I've never read a book about gnomes.

All I think of is the little garden gnome from the Travelocity ads.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine AH wrote: "That was a freaky movie. I didn't really like it. Too intense just to have one character the whole movie."

I liked it in the beginning. My enjoyment went downhill when the chick and her kid came around. I still liked it overall though. Although it took a couple of watches before I liked it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "I think I'll take a break from zombies for a while. Never did like them. Did you see the book I'm reading now has gnomes? Bite Marks I've never read a book about gnomes.

All I think..."

OMG!Gnomes!! THat's too cool!!!!!