Limonessa's Reviews > Sloppy Firsts

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Oct 30, 2010

bookshelves: ya-lit, favorites, need-to-re-read
Read on November 12, 2010 — I own a copy

This book is much more than i expected. What I expected was a chick lit, a cheesy story of a teenager and her ramblings about boys.
But this is a coming of age story.
Jess is a stressed teenager whose best friend has just moved away and whose parents try to make her be something she is not. She tries to mold herself into being what everybody expects from her in order to fit in until a junkie guy, Marcus Flutie, makes her realize her priorities in life.
I liked this book for various reasons: first, even though i'm 34 and therefore well past my teenage years, Jess is a character i could easily relate too. She is an interesting, brainiac and very opinionated girl. The language was a plus as well. I am not a notive speaker and i enjoyed the slang used in the book. Finally she is funny, i nearly rolled down the couch when ,accused of being a lesbo, Jess replies: "Me?! A vagitarian??". I will read the next installment, curious to see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sloppy Firsts.

Quotes Limonessa Liked

Megan McCafferty
“My thoughts create my world -Marcus Flutie”
Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts

Megan McCafferty
“Girls will get together just to get together. Guys need an activity as an excuse. Otherwise it’s too homo for them to handle.”
Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts

11/26/2011 "Time for a re-read."
11/27/2011
10.0% "Girls will get together just to get together. Guys need an activity as an excuse. Otherwise it's homo for them to handle." 5 comments
11/28/2011
70.0% "Did you ever stop to think that the term "reality TV" is an oxymoron?"

Afton Nelson I heart Marcus Flutie. A fun series.