Cameron's Reviews > Faust: First Part

Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

M_50x66
Oct 31, 10

"Faust" is a story about a very successful scholar(Faust) who is unsatisfied with life and decides to make a deal with the devil for unlimited knowledge and worldy pleasures. He makes this deal with Mephistopheles(a demon) and the agreement is that Meph will be his servant on Earth and at the very moment he experiences "true happiness" he shall die and be cast to hell to serve the Devil. This is one of my favorite pieces of literature. Faust is a very relatable character due to the fact that he questions what exactly it is that he is getting out of life(which we all do at some point or another) and also proves that success doesn't equal happiness. Once he sells his soul to the devil this story gets moving and is very hard to put down. Goethe's unique style and overall craftiness is very intriguing. I learned from Goethe how to take a story and make it your own. Goethe also taught me about characterization, the struggle Faust goes through and the overall slyness of Mephistopheles are both very believable and help you get a feel for the characters. I've read this twice and it was even better the second time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faust.