mark monday's Reviews > A New Heritage of Horror: The English Gothic Cinema, Revised and Updated Edition

A New Heritage of Horror by David Pirie

131922
Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: guidebooks

indispensable review of a classic period within horror. terence fisher and hammer horror are of course the most extensively discussed, but the author doesn't stint on many other fascinating works and directors. even better, the reach of this is wide, discussing everything from gender roles to production history, with everything in between. the author's perspective is a generous but critical one and his style is scholarly but by no means dry.

because i love lists, here are my favorite films from hammer horror and the like:

The Devil Rides Out
The Gorgon
The Horror of Dracula
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
Plague of the Zombies
Peeping Tom

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Heritage of Horror.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Thanks for the list. I've only seen Peeping Tom. Luckily several are available on Netflix. I'll be checking them out.

mark monday well, it must be said that Peeping Tom is actually head and shoulders above the rest, in that it rises well above its genre roots. it is, as they say, something special. a very disturbing and well-made film.