Chibineko's Reviews > Living with the Dead

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Oct 29, 10

Read in November, 2008

I couldn't wait to get my mitts on this book, having been aching with anticipation to see what some of my favorite characters were up to. Turns out, the anticipation was a little bit better than the book. This latest entry into the WotU series focuses around not just one, but at least four other people. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to when shifts occur or even why it's necessary for so many people to be narrators. (My guess is that it was just easier for Armstrong to write as the villain in order to divulge her details rather than for her to think up a way for the heroines to find the info.) It's honestly a little hard to follow at times.

The plot is that Robyn (a decidedly NON-magical or otherwise Underworld-ish woman) is suspected for the murder of a celeb client that she was hired to promote. Luckily for her, she knows Hope (who is a WotU) who attempts to try to not only clear her friend's name, but keep her from being killed by a psychically inclined psychic.

While I did enjoy the book immensely, it just wasn't as good as some of the other books in the series. It wasn't nearly as bad as the plodding Industrial Magic, but it just lacked a certain something. Since this is the 9th book in the series, I can't really complain too heavily since long series are bound to get saggy from time to time. Armstrong's books are pretty good for such a long series, especially considering how abysmal some other length series authors' books have become. Newcomers to the series may grow a little bored with the lack of pizazz, but fans should enjoy this latest entry into the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living with the Dead.