Chibineko's Reviews > Fashionistas

Fashionistas by Lynn Messina

Oct 29, 10

Read in November, 2008

Reading Fashionistas was like eating cotton candy. It was light, fluffy, cute, but had no real substance to it. Throughout the book I found myself fighting between being entertained & being bored.

The plot surrounds a junior editor (Vig) of the fictional magazine Fashionista who was just trying to keep her head above water when a group of her co-workers propose the idea to get rid of their demanding & selfish boss Jane. Their idea? Get her to sign off on the plan to create an issue surrounding a controversial art exhibit that showcased statues of Jesus dressed in dresses & other couture outfits.

There were so many things that should have gone right in this book that my dissapointment is more from the waste of potential. Many of the best features were woefully underused & unfortunately the main character just didn't draw me in as she should have. It's not that the book wasn't entertaining, it's just that it had no substance. Fans of chick lit will enjoy the book but won't feel that surge of "OMG, I have to get her next book" that they may get from other writers such as Sophie Kinsella or Meg Cabot. The book's cover proclaims that it's "Soon to be a major motion picture", & I can see where it would do well as a film. The book just fails to deliver anything fresh & new in this genre. It's a pale imitation of better books already seen in the genre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fashionistas.