Greg's Reviews > Promise Me

Nov 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-and-humor
Read from October 29 to November 02, 2010 , read count: 1

This was a pleasant way to spend a few hours reading while exercising, but not as pleasant as most of his other books. Two things I didn't like. One was the introduction of a fantasy "supernatural" element into the story. I won't say more lest I ruin the story for those who like such things. The other was more of a problem for me. Unlike his other books, this one seemed to lean way more toward glorifying a materialistic, temporal perspective on life. It seemed that the protagonist was far more concerned about her physical appearance and how she would be seen by others.

Similarly, the most visible "solution" to her problems seemed to be found in financial wealth, physical comfort, and the ability to purchase the things and experiences she wanted. I found that a bit distasteful, even though I am one who appreciates travel and new experiences in and out of my home country.

In short, Promise Me seemed to me to be shallower, more superficial than Evans' other books, less focused on the humanity of his characters. It's a shame, because I think he has the talent to have done much more with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me.