Chibineko's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Heather Graham

Oct 29, 10

Read in July, 2009

I will warn you ahead of time. This wasn't Graham's strongest book, not by a long shot. In fact, I would say that it is one of the weakest books she's put out so far. Even so, it's not bad for a fluff read.

The story begins with Beth & her family going to nearby Calliope Island for a weekend camping trip. From there she finds a skull, meets a hottie, loses a skull & gains a huge mystery. Unfortunately for the hottie, Beth is uber-suspicious of him from the start- something that puts a crimp in his secretive plans for the island.

(sigh) This book had a lot of potential but got bogged down by a shallow plot and characters. Rather than give Beth a good reason to be suspect of Keith (the hottie), Beth is irrationally suspicious of him. We're told that they're hot for each other, but it's just not believable. Then there's the background lusting of Ben & Amber, but that's practically non-existent & unbelievable.

If you want a brainless beach read then read this. If you want something with substance & written by Graham, look elsewhere. Whatever you do, I recommend checking this out from the library instead.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.