Jared Colley's Reviews > The Fragile Absolute: Or, Why Is the Christian Legacy Worth Fighting For?

The Fragile Absolute by Slavoj Žižek

M 50x66
The title of this work is kind of misleading. He discusses Christianity at the opening and picks it back up towards the end. His interests are strictly Materialist - once again appropriating Paul as a subversive, radical figure in the context of an oppressive Roman Empire. He sees statements like "there are neither men nor women, neither Jews nor Greeks" as more importantly functioning for disruptive political purposes in a certain historical situation. His comments on Christ's relation to the Law are very insightful regardless of one's beliefs. He writes:

"When we obey the Law, we do so as part of a desperate strategy to fight against our desire to transgress it, so the more rigorously we obey the Law, the more we bear witness to the fact that, deep within ourselves, we feel the pressure of the desire to indulge in sin. The superego feeling of guilt is therefore right: the more we obey the Law, the more we are guilty, because this obedience, in effect, is a defence against our sinful desire; and in Christianity, the desire (intention) to sin equals the act itself....as Saint Paul makes clear, the Christian stance, at its most radical, involves precisely the suspension of the vicious cycle of Law and its transgressive desire..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fragile Absolute.