Julie Davis's Reviews > The Haunted Bookshop

The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley

Oct 30, 10

Read in November, 2010

A wealthy young woman's father gets her a job at his friend's second hand book shop in order to teach her about real life. It soon turns into a mystery. Is the bookshop haunted? Or is there something else going on, as the young woman's admirer (a dedicated advertising man)?

I remembered that I began listening to this LibriVox recording some time ago and then stopped when beginning my Lenten podcast fast (yes, SOME time ago!). I picked it up to finish it again and have been really enjoying the low-key mystery, the gentle humor of the advertising man who sees everything in respect to his trade (even his love interest), and the amusing book theories put forth by the bookshop owner (who would not recognize them as being amusing at all, although we do). I have gotten somewhat tired of the bookshop owners continual monologues in the guise of letters to friends about peace versus war. Some is fine but he does go on and on. Overall this is short and a nice period piece that holds interest and introduces us to some interesting characters. I am going to backtrack when I'm done with this and listen to the prequel, Parnassus on Wheels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunted Bookshop.

Quotes Julie Liked

Christopher Morley
“It's one of the uncanniest things I know to watch a real book on its career―it follows you and follows you and drives you into a corner and makes you read it.”
Christopher Morley, The Haunted Bookshop

Christopher Morley
“That's why I call this place the Haunted Bookshop. Haunted by the ghosts of the books I haven't read. Poor uneasy spirits, they walk and walk around me. There's only one way to lay the ghost of a book, and that is to read it.”
Christopher Morley, The Haunted Bookshop