Valentin's Reviews > Moll Flanders

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

M_50x66
Oct 29, 10

Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Moll Flanders was a great read. I was shocked at the type of lifestyles that some people, such as Moll Flanders, endured during the late 1600s and early 1700s. The aspect of Moll Flanders that I really liked is the way it uncovers the original perception that I had about that time period. I believed that this era was classy and very sophisticated. It uncovered my perception because Moll Flanders is a basically a whore, she gets in and out of marriages like feet get out of socks. She is also a gold-digger because she gets into marriages just to get wealthier or save herself from poverty. This novel also shows how important marriage was in society back in those days, but also shows how people took marriage more loosely and took advantage of it. Being married, as shown in this novel, determines how high you are in the social scale. Overall Moll Flanders was a great novel and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get a true perception of the late 17th century, early 18th century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moll Flanders.