joanna's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Jul 07, 11

Read from June 22 to July 07, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.

Phoebe I tried this book, but it didn't really work for me in the end. What do you think so far?

joanna Do you mean you reached the end of the book, and the end didn't really work for you? Or, the book just wasnt working for you so in the end you didn't finish it? Seriously though :-)

Phoebe I did finish the book, but felt the writing was less skillful than what I usually prefer and the character development just didn't go deep enough. In the end, I didn't really care about the characters enough to "take them with me" out of the book. I'm not curious enough to continue with the series.

message 4: by joanna (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

joanna Yeah, I agree the character development was adequate at best but I was drawn in by the action and the whole metal burning concept. I can't say if the idea was unique but it was intriguing to me, I sort of felt myself Pushing and Pulling as I read.
But there WAS a lot of repetitive language, which irks me..."he paled, she paled, it paled," know, like the scowling in Twilight!? Lol :)
But I think I'm interested in continuing the series - maybe the characters will be fleshed out further on?

Phoebe I wonder that, too, about the characters. Maybe they'll improve. But, for me, there's something about the way the author treats them that annoys me. Hard to explain. Sort of like they're to do his bidding. I prefer a story that reads like both the author and the reader are shocked and amazed by what's happening.

I did like the metal burning. Hadn't run into it previously.