Chibineko's Reviews > The Hollow

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in January, 2011

I usually finish all of my books, even if they're bad. Usually. This book, however, I didn't. It's not because it was especially bad or because the author didn't try. It's just that the book was so incredibly slow that I lost interest & found it boring. If the author had decided to whittle down the pages & condense the story more, it would have been far better. Unfortunately she didn't & I was treated to multiple pages of descriptions of perfume making (which was fun at first but then got dull) & various things that really could have been said in a few pages rather than multiple ones.

It kind of felt like a novella or a short story that got stretched out into full length novel form. I'm sure that this book will find an audience with someone, but that someone isn't me. It's a shame because I did eventually skip to the end & while the reveal isn't surprising in the least, it was more interesting than I'd thought it'd be & deserved a slightly better treatment than it got here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow.

12/14/2010 page 110
21.0% "Started off strong but now the book is pretty bland & dull, unfortunately. Thought it would have been better. Sort of struggling to finish it now."