Debbie's Reviews > The Shadowed Mind: A Dinah Harris Mystery

The Shadowed Mind by Julie Cave

Nov 11, 10

bookshelves: christian, mystery, suspense
Read from November 08 to 10, 2010, read count: 1

"The Shadowed Mind" is a well-written, fast-paced detective suspense novel. It's the second novel in the trilogy, but you don't need to have read the first novel ("Deadly Disclosures") to follow what's happening in this one. However, the "whodunit" in the previous novel is somewhat revealed in this one, so I'd recommend reading them in order if both sound interesting to you.

The suspense came from trying to stop the killer before he killed again, personal danger to the main characters, and Dinah's struggle with alcoholism. A subplot with some secondary characters also created suspense by the stresses the daughter (Ella) underwent in dealing with her father's Alzheimer's Disease and her anger after learning a horrible secret about his past.

The characters were interesting, complex, and had realistic struggles. Dinah struggled with staying sober during a stressful case and with her quick temper.

The details about the police work, setting, and historical information relating to the case where excellent and interesting yet didn't slow the story down. These details brought the story alive in my imagination.

I don't think most people will figure out who the killer is before Dinah does, but it is possible to do so. Overall, I thought this was a more polished novel than the first one, but I still noticed some inaccurate, conflicting, or odd minor details. Like why did Cage and Dinah (who's on the case as a profile consultant) ignore that the profile she made of the killer didn't match their favorite suspect?

Dinah and several minor characters were Christians. Dinah and Ella struggled realistically with forgiveness and grace in their difficult circumstances and talked with other Christians about this struggle. Also, Dinah consulted a Christian about the Christian viewpoint of eugenics, but she also consulted a secular source and heard the views of several pro-eugenics characters. I felt the pro-eugenics characters were handled realistically.

There was no sex and no bad language. I'd highly recommend this well-written, suspenseful novel.

I received this book as a review copy from the publisher.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadowed Mind.