Rebecca A. Rogers's Reviews > Virtuosity

Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, for-review, romance
Read from October 08 to 11, 2011

**ARC courtesy of Simon & Schuster’s Galley Grab

I wasn’t sure what to expect when reading Virtuosity, but I was pleasantly pleased with the outcome. As a newbie when it comes to playing the violin, I was so intrigued with the concept of this novel. It’s not every day the YA genre presents a contemporary book filled with nothing but music. Normally, any novels I read incorporate music here and there, but don’t actually center on the subject.

Carmen eats and breathes being a virtuoso. She has fame in the form of fans and CDs, and worldwide recognition as being a child prodigy. So all she has left is to win the coveted Guarneri competition.

Enter Jeremy. He’s also a virtuoso and has fame, and, like Carmen, wants to win the Guarneri competition for his family.

When Carmen spies on Jeremy, he takes full advantage of the situation. But the more these two hang out, the more they realize that they’re falling for each other. With the competition drawing closer, the tension has never been so substantial, the stakes have never been more important, and music has never been played like this.

Overall, if you like a book that focuses on music and the characters that create it, then you’ll love this. I know I did. :)

Review posted at Confessions of a YA Writer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virtuosity.

10/10/2011 page 63
21.0% "This makes me want to pull out my violin and play. :)" 2 comments
10/11/2011 page 91
30.0% "OH NO HE DIDN'T. I'm grinning like a fool right now, even though I'd like to simultaneously smack and hug Jeremy. This is me--> :D"
10/11/2011 page 170
56.0% "sjkdlfjsldfkjs I love Jeremy. I love male violinists (like David Garrett). I love this book. That is all."
show 1 hidden update…