Courtney's Reviews > Saint Training

Saint Training by Elizabeth Fixmer

Oct 29, 10

bookshelves: good-reads-first-reads

Right off the bat, we need get straight that St. Teresa of Avila wrote Interior Castle and that Interior Castle is not her autobiography. St. Therese the Little Flower's autobiography is Story of a Soul. I cannot believe for one moment that a Mother Superior would make that kind of major mistake (approximately page 40 of the book) and I'm quite surprised neither the author nor the various people mentioned in the author's acknowledgement caught that mistake. For a story around the correspondence between a 6th grade Catholic school girl and a nun, I cannot excuse this mistake.

This book what not what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be a cute story about a 6th grader who wants to be a saint that would bring back some of my Catholic school memories. Instead it was more of the author's memoir (as she states in her afterward)written as fiction. I thought it seemed more of a commentary of the changes in the Catholic Church and society as a whole in the 1960s and about coming of age during that time. The author mentions changes in the Church that came as a result of Vatican II but makes no mention or acknowledgement of the Vatican II documents themselves. I was expecting to see a reference or citation in the afterwards or acknowledgements but there is none.

After finishing the book, I feel the only audience is women who went to Catholic school in the 1960s. This is not a middle-school or high school book. As a Catholic school girl of the 1980s, I did chuckle at a few things, but not enough to recommend this book.

Thank you Goodreads First Reads for my copy of this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint Training.

Janine Eighth graders at my children's school lived it and would not stop talking about it.

Janine I meant loved it. :)