Tom's Reviews > Apathy for the Devil: A 1970s Memoir

Apathy for the Devil by Nick Kent

204408
Oct 29, 10

Read in October, 2010

The first thing that struck me was a "KLAANG!" from repeated use of language more common in tabloid confessionals - "just a few short weeks later" (in what way were these particular weeks shorter than other weeks, Nick?) and on the next page "just a few short days later" (similar question, Nick). I did also struggle with the way he pushes himself into the centre of everything, and defines the event he was at (a Stooges gig to 200 people, a party in Rod Stewart's Hollywood home,  a scuffle in Dingwalls, a gig in Cardiff by some people who went on to be The Damned) as THE DEFINING MOMENT ON WHICH 20th CENTURY HISTORY PIVOTED. I was reminded of Max Boyce - "I WAS THERE", which I don't think was the effect he was after. His love of Bowie as shown in the book differs from how I remember Nick writing about him in the NME - I seem to remember he saw Bowie as a lesser light. I'll need to have another look at "The Dark Stuff" to see if he was always a clunky writer and I've only just noticed. Still, it was only £2 in Fopp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apathy for the Devil.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Male "The zeitgeist pendulum had swung to the other end of the culture spectrum."

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom @andrew - spot on! Has his writing really plummeted or am I mis-remembering Kent in his 70s pomp ?

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Norris My favourite (I had plenty to choose from ) was "Bringing Sid into their mix was like adding fire to a leaking pool of gasoline. A terrible explosion was bound to transpire as a result." Enjoyed the book, in spite of his writing though.