Tina's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, best-2011, 2011, dystopia-post-apocalyptic, favorites, sci-fi, 2012
Read from May 26, 2011 to June 03, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Original post at One More Page

One of my best book discoveries last year was Mira Grant's Feed, the first book in the Newsflesh trilogy. I was so excited about it when I heard it was about zombies AND blogging, and it was my first big Kindle purchase. It remains as one of my favorite books, one that I have given away as gifts and prizes numerous times. I was excited for the next book, Deadline, but I wasn't expecting that much, given that second books are usually so-so compared to the first books in a trilogy. I had a feeling it would be good, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as its predecessor, you know?

Deadline starts shortly after Feed, where Shaun Mason and the rest of the staff of After the End Times are still reporting the news and making noise in the blogosphere. Shaun, however, is no longer the Irwin that he used to be -- he's tired of it, and he's just running the news organization because he had nowhere else to go and nothing else to do. When a CDC researcher fakes her death and drops by their office with a lot of terrifying and confusing medical research, Shaun and the team find themselves in the middle of a conspiracy connected to the ones they encountered during the campaign. Hungry for the truth, they follow the trail, and find themselves facing an enemy bigger and scarier than the living dead that has become a constant threat in their lives.

I decided to reread Feed shortly after Deadline was delivered to my Kindle to refresh my memory of the Newsflesh world. I was a bit impatient while rereading because I kept on seeing really good reviews for the newest book, but I soldiered on, determined to have the best reading experience for the sequel. It took so much control for me not to read reviews and comments in reviews in full, too, so I won't be spoiled (and believe me, there are spoilers galore in the reviews for this book). I finished the first book, loved it just the same, and then moved on to the next book. Not even 1/4 into the book yet and I was already crying. A little over that, and my heart was breaking. And then, I just can't stop reading it. I finished the book at one in the morning last Sunday and it took all of me to stop myself from swearing. If my mom wasn't fast asleep beside me, I would have yelled many, many expletives that morning.

Mira Grant achieves a great balance between detail and action in Deadline. The previous book was admittedly wordy with all the exposition on the history of the Rising and the Kellis-Amberlee virus. Deadline may be just as wordy, but since the book is told in Shaun's point of view, we are given a bit of time to process the information in the same way as he does. There's less politics here, as it focuses on the virus itself -- lots of science, lots of medical terms, but not so much that it's too hard to follow. It's got good, solid world building, with lots of references to pre-Rising things, the things we have now. I love the references to zombie video games, most especially, and it makes the action scenes easier for me to imagine. There was a time when I was reading a zombie chase scene when something similar to a Resident Evil background music played on the TV. Talk about setting the scene. The story is tight, and it honestly had me totally creeped out as the story progressed. I had the same feeling while rereading Feed, but I dare say Deadline amplified that feeling. By the end of the book, I was ready to hide under the covers and never go out.

While this is more of Shaun's story to tell, the girls Georgia and Buffy still play a big part in the story. The best part, I think, is how their staff gets to play bigger roles. Mira Grant created excellent characters that you'd want to be on your side when zombies walk with the living. I loved Mahir and Maggie (with her epileptic teacup bulldogs!) the most, but I also liked Dave, Becks and Alaric well enough to get attached to them even if I knew better not to get attached to any of Mira Grant's characters. Lines are blurred and gray areas abound in Deadline: the stereotypical villain in the previous book suddenly had more depth, there's no clear villain in this book, and there really is no one you could trust.

Unlike Feed, Deadline ends in a major cliffhanger, which could have also resulted in many, many expletives if I hadn't finished this book late in the night. And to prove the evil (genius) that Mira Grant really is, a preview of the third book, Blackout, is included in Deadline (A word of advice -- do not read the preview if you're not yet done with the book. YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DO, TRUST ME.). While that's a teensy bit comforting, it still doesn't change the fact that it would not be out until next year. Alas, I wait in agony with the rest of the world. :o

Deadline by Mira Grant definitely exceeded all my expectations. I love it when a book does that. Even if I have to wait for a whole year for the conclusion of this wonderfully terrifying, expletive-inducing trilogy, I have a good feeling the third book will shoot straight up the ceiling with its awesomeness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

Quotes Tina Liked

Mira Grant
“…and Dave and I, we were doing this…this weird circling thing, like we needed to figure out every single line of the script before we could even start the movie. I knew, and he knew, and we didn’t do a damn thing about it…It’s like we thought everything had to be perfect, or it wouldn’t work. Like it was a story.”
Mira Grant, Deadline

Mira Grant
“Why is it you assholes always feel the need to tell the media your evil plans before you kill us?” asked Becks. “Is it a union requirement or something?”
Mira Grant, Deadline

06/01/2011 "Putting this on hold for a bit. I kind of need to refresh my knowledge of Feed first. Must exercise restraint!"
06/07/2011
19.0% "What a depressing way to start my morning. 3"
06/08/2011
34.0% "Oh no. :( Poor Shaun. There goes another piece of my heart. How many times will this book break it? :((" 1 comment
06/09/2011
53.0% "Shaun and the Merry Men, haha. It feels like reading a Resident Evil novel. :p"
06/09/2011
63.0% "Anything can happen now, really. Is it weird that a part of me is scared?"
06/10/2011
76.0% ""We're going to make it home, and then we're going to take them all down." Ah Becks. I don't approve of all your decisions, but I like you."
06/11/2011
100.0% "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 1 comment
05/22/2012 page 60
10.0% "Road trips must have been pretty boring before the zombies came. (p.31)"
05/24/2012 page 171
27.0% "“…and Dave and I, we were doing this…this weird circling thing, like we needed to figure out every single line of the script before we could even start the movie. I knew, and he knew, and we didn’t do a damn thing about it…It’s like we thought everything had to be perfect, or it wouldn’t work. Like it was a story. (p.149)"
05/25/2012 page 224
36.0% "I guess in the end, it doesn't matter what we wanted. What matters is what we chose to do with the things we had. - Georgia Mason"
05/30/2012 page 361
58.0% "I guess I sort of knew, deep down. Maybe that's why you were so safe to chase. I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to catch you. (p. 351)" 2 comments
06/01/2012 page 523
84.0% "We ran out of time, and we didn't even know it was being metered. *cue ominous music* Quite possibly my favorite part of the book."
06/02/2012 page 625
100.0% "Okay, now I can move on to Blackout."
show 2 hidden updates…

Isamlq it's out??

Tina Isamlq wrote: "it's out??"

Yes! :) I pre-ordered the Kindle version. :)

message 3: by Yam (new)

Yam I saw the book last wk and wondered why the author's name seemed familiar. I remembered why--your raves abt Feed! Sadly there was no copy of Feed at the bookstore.

Sarah Sto Domingo OMG OMG OMG OMG

Wendy Darling Fantastic review, Tina! Props to you for avoiding spoilers--I kind of enjoyed the challenge of doing that, too. I'm so anxious for BLACKOUT, argh.

Tina Wendy Darling wrote: "Fantastic review, Tina! Props to you for avoiding spoilers--I kind of enjoyed the challenge of doing that, too. I'm so anxious for BLACKOUT, argh."

It was so hard not to write a spoiler for the first two books! But yeah, it was a good challenge. I'm going to get her novellas in hopes of getting by until Blackout.

Laura Hey Tina! I love this review! I too love that we get to know the staff gang even more in this one. I adore Mahir! :D I feel a re-read coming on! Whenever I read a Feed or Deadline review—I just want to jump right back into Grant’s world. Wonderful review!

Tina Laura wrote: "Hey Tina! I love this review! I too love that we get to know the staff gang even more in this one. I adore Mahir! :D I feel a re-read coming on! Whenever I read a Feed or Deadline review—I j..."

Thanks Laura! I know! I read Countdown recently, and while Shaun and Georgia weren't there, it made me feel so good to be back in Mira Grant's world. Even if it was bleak and sad and scary. But still.

I'm planning to reread both Feed and Deadline sometime before Blackout comes out. And I hope there is more of Mahir there, now that you mentioned it. :)

Aaron Vincent I am so behind this. :(

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Aaron Vincent wrote: "I am so behind this. :("

It's okay! You and a few more people. We need to get your reactions first before we move on, but since I've read this already, I thought I'd start it so I can answer questions and stuff. Habol lang! :D

Wendy Darling Sheeesh, hurry up so you can read BLACKOUT!