Kate 's Reviews > The Frenzy

The Frenzy by Francesca Lia Block

Oct 29, 10

THE FRENZY, by Francesca Lia Block, is an interesting new perspective on werewolves. Liv spent her time after "the incident" at thirteen avoiding the posibility that it might happen again, or why. It was a fun ride to figure out what she was and what caused this change within her.

It is like a breath of fresh air when I come across a paranormal book that truly seperates itself from the rest. I love werewolf books, but after reading so many they all seem to blend together. Block really stepped out of the "norm" for this genre and created something haunting, suspenseful, and pretty amazing. When most other books in this category experience how the person changes and then adapts, this one showcased the fight against the change. Liv had to live with being so different, internally and externally, all she wanted was to be herself. She had to hide the relationship with the love of her life, and hold the secret of her best friends identity along with her own.

The relationships among the characters were very complex and created an emotional turmoil in me. I absolutely hated Liv's mother, felt pity for her father, and loved Corey and Pace. I hated that Pace and Liv had to pretend to be with each other because it was socially accepted in their community. Neither could be with who they truely wanted to. Block's writing really tugged at my heart-strings.

One thing I would have liked to see more of was the family of wolves in the forest. I had a hard time deciding what part of Liv to side with. I understand her motivation to want to be normal, but I am always attracted to the 'paranormal' in these books. I wish I could have gotten to see more of Liv with the other wolves and what could have become of that.

The best way I think to describe this story is that it is gritty and rough around the edges. This community that Liv lives in is not an accepting place for anyone outside the norm and how a young girl struggles through it is the focus of this story. For anyone who is a fan of the paranormal and YA, I do recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frenzy.