Chibineko's Reviews > The Doomsday Key: A Sigma Force Novel

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins

Oct 28, 10

Read in August, 2009

As a die-hard Rollins fan, I eagerly grabbed this book within weeks of it's release. The plotline revisited some of my favorite characters, including the mysterious Seichan. I was hoping for a resolution of the Grey/Seichan romance, but I will warn any potential readers that the resolution is a bit of a grey area (drum riff).

The plotline of this entry focuses on an influential owner of a bioengineering company who has plans to "save" the world through controversial means as well as following along with Grey & company as they try to find a long lost "Doomsday Key" that is very much desired by Sigma's rival group the Guild. Grey has more than one thing on his mind as he has to figure out the clues as well as figure out his relationship dynamics with his previous lover Rachel as well as the enigmatic Seichan. (Well, first he has to figure out whether or not he can TRUST Seichan.)

Overall I enjoyed the book but I will admit that there were one or two points that seemed to be a bit of a lull. Mostly the "in between" scenes that were necessary to move the plot to the next part. I enjoyed learning more about Seichan but I found the whole Grey/Rachel/Seichan dynamics to be a little wearing at times & I didn't really feel any romantic sparks between Grey & Rachel in this book. (Then again, that may have been the author's intent for the relationship to be more of a desperation thing than a romance thing.) I did particularly enjoy Kowalski in this book. He's a meathead & a grunt, but he's great comic relief. It was a relief to have some plot movement with the Guild plot arc since that's something that has been dragged out for a while now. There is a bit of an ambiguous ending of sorts, but it's entertaining to think of the possibilities that could open up in the future. In the end though, this just wasn't Rollins' strongest novel in the Sigma series. He's written far better than this. It's not enough to put me off the series, but it's enough to make me admit that this will disappoint some readers.

Now I do have to put a disclaimer down. If you have never read any of the Sigma novels in the past, this is not the book to start with. While the bigger part of the plot is somewhat self contained, the overlying plot arcs & character dynamics will more than likely befuddle anyone who has no knowledge of anything that's happened before. The book calls on a lot of previous story arcs in this book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doomsday Key.