Chibineko's Reviews > Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power of Negative Thinking Volume 1

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei by Kohji Kumeta

Oct 28, 2010

Read in September, 2009

I'm always divided on the madcap manga series. Sometimes they're great but other times they'll try just a little too hard & ruin the flow of the manga. Luckily for me, this was one of those mangas that was both madcap & highly enjoyable.

The manga follows the teacher Zetsubou, his desire to die & his students. Now to many this wouldn't seem like a silly & funny manga, but it is. Zetsubou's desire to die has met it's match with the peppy & upbeat Kafuka, who believes that there is something good in just about everything & everyone. As he goes about his daily life (and his halfhearted attempts to end it) he gets entangled in his students' lives for better or for worse.

I highly enjoyed this manga. The chapters run from silly to downright hilarious, some of which had me laughing out loud while I read it. My only word of caution is that the constant comedic pace may wear some out after a while, so this manga is one that is best appreciated in little gulps at a time so you can best appreciate it. This manga shows a lot of promise!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.