Chibineko's Reviews > A Vision of Light

A Vision of Light by Judith Merkle Riley

Oct 28, 10

Read in October, 2009

When I read this as a teenager around the age of 14, I loved this book. I thought it was fantastic. After years of searching for the book & forgetting the title, I finally tracked it down. I assumed that I'd love it just as much now as I did then. While I did like the book, I wasn't as enchanted with it as I was as a kid.

The book follows Margaret of Ashbury as she narrates her tale to the reluctant monk Gregory, who initially assumes that her tale will simply be a normal tale of a medieval wife. When he discovers that Margaret's stories contain bits about her having miraculous visions & events, he initially refuses to believe it. He continues the stories & a friendship of sorts begins to blossom between the two of them.

The synopsis above really is an overly simplified version of the initial part of the book. Giving anything else would really be too much of a spoiler for my tastes.

Now I'm sort of torn between giving this 3 stars & giving it 4 stars. As a kid I would have immediately given this 5 stars, yet when I re-read it I viewed it as more of a 3.5 read. My vote of 4 stars is sort of a compromise, I guess. I liked the character of Margaret & I was able to get into her stories, but I found upon re-reading it that I really didn't care overly much for the character of Gregory as much as I did as a kid.

Over all, this is a book worth reading for the most part. I wasn't as enchanted with the sequels, but this book itself is worth checking out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vision of Light.