Chibineko's Reviews > Working for the Devil

Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow

Oct 28, 2010

Read in October, 2009

I've only discovered Saintcrow earlier this year after reading `The Devil's Librarian', which I enjoyed immensely. Since I'd read everything from my regular UF authors, I figured that it would be nice to find a new author in the field.

The first Dante Valentine book introduces us to the character & her world. Set in a future where all strains of the major religions have died out & supernatural creatures roam the earth such as demons, werecreatures & vampires (called Nichtrevin). Danny Valentine is a necromanse, a human who can channel death itself & call upon those recently deceased. She's just been offered a job from the Lucifer himself to track down an escaped demon, a demon who just so happened to have caused the death of a past lover of Danny's.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. There were a few points in the book where it lagged a little, but I liked how imaginative the world was. I liked Danny's character, although I have to say that I like idea of her with Jace more than I do Danny with Japh. This is one of Saintcrow's earlier books, which sort of shows at times when the writing gets a little less polished than some of her later works. (Devil's Librarian was released rather recently.)

I can't say that Saintcrow will ever replace any of the more prominent authors such as Harrison or Armstrong as my top favorite UF author, but I like her enough to keep an eye out for any of her future releases!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working for the Devil.